Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pocket Explosions

I'm walking around the corner for my mid-morning sandwich, and order my usual, an omelet with scallions, which the sandwich lady normally cooks on a portable gas grill smaller than a 45rpm. 

This morning, she cracked an egg into her skillet, but the flames sputtered for only a few seconds, leaving my egg...still an egg, and not an omelet. I went for the cha and pork floss sandwich instead, and walk a few feet to the coffee lady. Co-worker is there, ordering a coffee for himself and looking over the cigarette cartons. 

I moan about no omelets while ordering a coffee, prompting him to go, "Oh, Sandwich Lady's butane ran out? Oh, that reminds me...tell Coffee Lady that her lighters (points at rows of yellow lighters with Hot Wheels stickers) explode when they're dropped!"

"What?!"

"Yeah, one even exploded in my pocket once!"

I spend a moment imagining Co-worker reacting to his pockets spontaneously combusting, but I figured I better alert Coffee Lady that her lighters were prone to...well, exploding.

But, it is old news.

"Oh, oh yeah. That happens. Sometimes when it gets too hot, they explode right in the display case."
  
Later I realized I never saw what Sandwich Lady did with my uncooked egg. 


 

No comments: