Saturday, April 28, 2007

Woes

So, my laptop is dead. Nathan's laptop has also kicked the bucket. So far, the problem appears to be beyond the skill of the two repair shops I have taken it to, but I'm still holding out some hope that the data may be retrieveable when I take it back with me to the states. I didn't lose anything more serious than some half-hearted writing, since everything important was backed up on disk. I am, however, quite sore that I don't have a computer at hand, which cuts out a signficant portion of my income. Also, I just downloaded the entire Season 2 of House. Imagine all that fascinating entertainment locked dormant inside the hard drive! The gigs of unwatched curmudgeonly doctors and maybe a few dedicated to Blue Crush. It was horrible, horrible timing. Now Nathan's getting tired of my requests for him to sing ''Billie Jean'' or ''Hey Jude'' because I can't stand writing in silence. I honestly don't see what his problem is; he has a great voice. Not to mention that now I have to deal with writing with an actual writing instrument. On actual paper. Who even does that anymore?

Perhaps I wouldn't be so irritated if one of my favorite pants didn't have a sticky splotch of red ink from a leaking pen in the wash. It was my favorite pair because it made me feel like a bad ass athletic type, with little zippered cargo pockets that were perfect for whipping out pocket knives or antidotes. The only upside to the whole affair is that I can blame it on the maid. Because, did I mention? We have a maid to do our laundry. Apparently she came with the house we're sharing with three other roommates. I woke up and began panicking because my laundry basket was empty before I realized that no one would want to steal my clothes. But when you only have two pairs of pants, they become VERY PRECIOUS.

Since I'm rarely in the house, I rarely see our maid, chi Yen, so the only times when I'm reminded that we have someone doing our laundry is when I find boxers in my clothes. This happens...pretty much all the time. I don't think chi Yen is confused about my gender, but I feel embarassed about bringing it up anyway, since I still feel vaguely guilty about having a maid. The woman does our laundry, so who cares if Colin ends up with my towels and I end up with his boxers? I guess, except Colin, of course. Or possibly Nicholas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What is exactly wrong with your laptops?

chare said...

Does anyone actually read this crap?

Lindsay said...

hahaha, you're hysterical. And poor House, locked up inside your harddrive. :(