Thursday, May 03, 2007

Post-Laptopocalypse

After the repair shop told me that they couldn't fix my laptop because it simply was too old, I fell into a black depression.

That perhaps is too strong a description. But seriously? When Vietnam is telling you that your machine is outdated and please get up to speed with the rest of the developing countries? I found myself with too much nervous energy and began toting books with me every where. I raided the shelf of abandoned novels at Nathan's work, and begin borrowing from the various pubs and backpacker cafes. J.M. Coetzee's Disgrace, Flowers for Algernon, Pigs in Heaven, the April 2007 issue of Lucky Magazine. Now I'm getting along by commandeering Hannah's plucky Thinkpad. I bribed her with a skirt from the Limited, in an American size 10, from my brilliant friend Christine, who is leaving to pursue a Master's in Public Health at Columbia. I already got Emmy from Christine, so I figured the skirt was undue largesse. Plus I would have had to had the skirt taken in and I can be disgustingly lazy sometimes.

In truth, a few weeks without constant access in the internet was probably good for me. However, I only feel safe admitting this as I am safely typing on a keyboard. Sweet, sweet useless information flowing in my veins!

No comments: